Monday, February 7, 2011

Oh Meringue !!

While it has been awhile since my last post, a lot has happened.

I moved into my new apartment Saturday ... and it was quite a crazy day. To sum up move-in day, we had a 16-foot U-Haul pulled down a one way street going in the wrong direction and unloaded all of my stuff faster than a Nascar Pit Crew. During all this ruckus, pretty much the entire neighborhood came out and was watching and laughing at us. A few kind neighbors even helped, handed out some beers, and made quotes like "Yeah, it's a one way street ... but you only gotta go one way." Once I was all settled in, I realized how much I love my new apartment. In fact, I won't be referring to it as an apartment but as my new mini home.

And the other good news I got this week -- I got a new job at a bakery in Newton! 

Between the new apartment and job,  things are looking up for me! And I know I have an exciting future ahead. 

As for class today, we started a new focus on meringues. We took the entire class period to make all different types of meringues such as a Success, Progress, Japonais, Walnut Dacquoise, and Lemon Hazelnut Dacquoise.

We took one of the meringues and made a Jaconde cake. It took me awhile to figure out how we were going to combine the layers we made today were going to come together, but they did beautifully. We were introduced to Pate Decor and made a decorative design which we put in the freezer till the cake was finished mixing. Once the cake was finished we poured it on top of the design and baked it for 4 minutes. After baking, the design imprinted itself upon the cake, which we cut into thin strips and lined an 8" Pastry Ring with. Then inside the cake lined ring layered pieces of meringue and coffee-cognac whipped cream then finished with decorating. 

The hard sticks are actually pieces of Meringue Italian just baked and hardened.

We experimented with different designs. 

A close-up of the decor detail

No comments:

Post a Comment