Monday, January 31, 2011

Easy As Pie

After the last week from hell, I hoped entering class Monday morning would be the start of a new and happier week. Well, first thing I discovered when opening my bag is my water bottle opened up and poured all over my school stuff. Maybe next week. 

We were lectured for a long time on how to gelatinize pie fillings, thicken fillings and make bases for them, we threw our aprons on and proceeded to rapid fire make as many tarts a we could.

Mini- Blueberry Pie
with a streusel topping

Mini-Pecan Pie
with pecan filling  & brown sugar

Mini-Apple Pie ... Mmmm 

Raspberry Tourte

And finally ... 

Right from the beginning I was most excited for the final cake we were making. It was called a Mogador Cake. The sponge cake part of it is made with a Chocolate Almond Genoise, then topped with a chocolate mousse,  raspberry glaze and our own decorations. The cake above I decorated myself -- I hope to get better in the future but it was a fun first time piping chocolate. 

The only downside to this cake was I got a little excited while dunking the sponge cake into the raspberry puree and knocked the bowl over. I spilled red raspberry puree ALL over my already wet apron and white chefs jacket. I around and realize everyone else has colored spots of different food all over them. In any other setting it may be embarrassing to spill on yourself, but not in this kitchen. 

I have a rough week ahead moving in to my new apartment and figuring a lot of stuff out -- but I'm excited! And I get to eat delicious pastries while I'm stressed ... there's nothing wrong with that. 

2 comments:

  1. OMG those all look amazinggggg!!! Miss you! I wanna come see the place and you need to come see mine ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Maddie!! Let's get together very soon!

    ReplyDelete