Sunday, January 30, 2011

Have Your Cake & Throw It Too

This weekend I was assigned by a family member to make a delicious coconut cake for dinner Saturday night. I spent all morning perfecting it because it served as the celebration cake for three occasions -- two birthdays and an anniversary. It has coconut flakes all on the outside of it, and I decorated with flags acknowledging the occasions and star candles. It looked perfect and I had a small bite which tasted amazing. I planned on taking a picture of it at dinner ... well let's just say that didn't happen.

I was running late for dinner because I was stuck in traffic for a half hour for what I learned was a WWE wrestling match (... really?!) I finally made it to the restaurant, but it took me another 10 minutes to park because I wasn't aggressive enough and someone very rudely stole an available spot I HAD MY BLINKER ON FOR! There is nothing else I hate in the world more than being late so I parked and was scurrying out of the car.

I noticed there was a puddle ahead on the sidewalk, so I went in a different direction to avoid stepping in it. As I walked around the snow bank, I completely wiped out and the cake got thrown about 20 feet in the air. The bottom half of the cake landed in the road while the top half was still in the container (even after I kicked the container into the snow bank out of frustration) By the time I had stood up, the cake in the road had already been ran over by a truck.

I was pretty calm while all this was happening ... until I saw a woman across the street with her hands covering her face and tears coming from her eyes because she watched my incident. And that may or may not have triggered a few tears of my own.

I threw the cake in the car and had a glass of wine waiting for me at the dinner table. I calmed down, ate a great dinner and had a wonderful night out with family. At the end of the night my family was walking out and we grabbed the cake remnants in the container in my car and ate some in the bar parking lot.

There are some very valuable lessons I learned from this experience:
1. Never be in a hurry with a cake in your hands
2. At the end of the day, it's just cake and my family still loves me
3. Maybe it didn't look pretty, but it still tasted damn good

Oh, and I hate professional wrestling


No comments:

Post a Comment