Saturday, January 15, 2011

Quick Beginnings in Quickbreads

On the first day of class, I didn't really get nervous until I was pulling up to the door. I had some unattractive yet extremely comfortable black and white checkered pants on, a white school t-shirt and of course the black chef's clogs. My hair was pulled back & dreading the ugly chefs hat. In fact, I was dreading the hat so much I didn't even take it out of the package. 

I had about 100lbs of chef's supplies on my shoulder (varying from knives to pastry circles to wine openers to giant spatulas) and a 3" folder in my embroidered school bag. I forgot to listen at Orientation what we should and should not bring on the first day so ... I brought everything. 

At first we lectured for two hours and went over the student handbook, then next thing you know we were told to stand up, put our aprons on & start baking. Turns out, the chefs hat is not so bad AND it even fits my huge head. It's not one of those huge tall hats, its more like the small little caps the guy who makes sushi wears. 

High Points of Day 1
- I felt comfortable & pretty confident in the kitchen
- My group's muffins & scones turned out awesome

Low Points of Day 1
- Our cake sunk in on top & didn't look appetizing but we flipped it over & decorated the pretty side
- While mixing various ingredients I wasn't looking and turned the mixer on too high resulting in a POOF noise with my entire body covered in flour and everyone laughing at me.

Whatever ... it tasted good. 

Check out what we made:

 Chocolate Pistachio Cake
A regular & chocolate swirled batter and an outer coating of apricot glaze & crushed pistachios

 Sour Cream Pecan Muffins
With a powdered sugar sprinkle

Raisin Scones (my friend's favorite!) 

The Class's Final Product
Made all pretty for photography purposes of course

No comments:

Post a Comment