Saturday, January 15, 2011

Spontaneity

I graduated from college, lived home for eight months (to "save money," though that never happened) and while doing so discovered some pretty important things:

Important Thing #1: I absolutely CANNOT sit still

I kept myself so busy in college I figured moving home would be nice and relaxing. Don't get me wrong, I love everything about my home, family & friends but I just couldn't stand the dormant stage my life was at. Working only a few days a week and sleeping in late sounds like everyones dream, but trust me it gets old quick. I can't believe I ever considered a career which required sitting in an office all day.

Important Thing #2: It's really difficult to get a "big girl job"

In the summer months, I spent most of my time doing what every recent graduate does -- Googling stuff and bitching about how tough it is to get a job. I applied for many jobs, did everything I was supposed to do and guess how many actual interviews I got? Zero. I was at such a point of desperation that when I received a personal e-mail rejection back instead of a generic one I thought "Wow, they must really like me."

And don't get me wrong, I didn't change career paths because I'm a quitter or because I didn't think I was good enough. I actually think I'm pretty kickass and every company who didn't hire me is stupid. It's just ... some things just aren't meant to be ;)

The real reason I changed career paths is because of

Important Thing #3: I'm pretty good at baking & decorating

Like many other millions of Americans out there, I'm addicted to television. In the past year or so I've found myself shifting my viewing interests. I used to only watch ABC Family reruns of early 90s sitcoms but now all I watched was food television. Then one day while watching an episode of Cake Boss I thought "Hmm, baking would be something fun to do while I'm home." I went out and bought a box cake mix (cheating, I know). I didn't have the proper cake pan so I grabbed a cupcake pan. That'll do. And that was how I started decorating my first cupcakes. Even though it took me about 3 hours to do 12 cupcakes, I was hooked. This hobby soon turned into an obsession with not just cupcakes, but all things dessert. Then ... the lightbulb went off! I should try doing this for a living. It allows me to be constantly running around, I can be creative and innovative AND I can talk a lot.

I'm usually not a very spontaneous person yet I applied, two weeks later was accepted and one week after that found myself at the local Work N' Gear buying $90 Chef's Clogs.

So here I am now, about to move two hours away from home and attend a pastry program to become a professional chef.

Follow my sweet journey through this new and exciting adventure.

Or don't -- I'll never know.

4 comments:

  1. so proud of you! you are going to do great things!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been so proud of my sweet girl.
    You are simply amazing.
    I love you.
    Challah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm celebrating your spontaneity Jes! Following passions and joys is truly how to live a full and rich life! Love reading about the new adventure....keep it coming...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have enjoyed reading your blog re culinary adventures in Boston. This is just a new chapter in your young life and we are so proud of you. Your writing talent is something to consider after you are secure in your new culinary profession. You seem to have the Morris gene for words and sincerity for writing and we look fwd to further adventures from Boston. Auntie Ann & Uncle Dick

    ReplyDelete