Saturday, January 15, 2011

Lean Breads is a Deceiving Name

On Day 2 we began talking about various lean breads and how to make them. The scariest part thing learning about breads is how much science is behind why they taste so good. Math & science were never and will never be my strong points. We spent hours learning how when you use different types of yeast bacteria (ew) and mix it with either wet or dry ingredients it forms strings of gluten and how baking soda and baking powder act as chemical leavening agents to all recipes. It was sort of exhausting hearing all the information but I could tell it was definitely something we needed to know. My group chose to make a Pullman Loaf first. I had never heard of this before, but when we were finished it pretty much looked like Wonder Bread. Second we made generic hand rolls, and third some baguettes.

The most difficult part of the day was kneading the dough. It took me 45 minutes straight and I have a horrible knot in my shoulder now. Let's just say I won't be making bread on my own anytime soon.

What we created:

The Pullman Loaf
Twisted dough baked in a rectangle pan

Hand Rolls
They tasted just as good as a restaurants

Some of the class's work combined
I'm so upset I forgot to bring Baguettes home!

1 comment: